Your Steps To Enroll
1. Check if You're Eligible
Federal and U.S. Postal Service (USPS) employees, retirees and dependents who are eligible for the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program can enroll in BCBS FEP Dental.
- You do not need to be enrolled in an FEHB medical plan.
- Annuitants receiving an immediate annuity are eligible for FEDVIP dental coverage.
- Dependent children are covered until age 22.
Retired uniformed service members and their families can enroll in BCBS FEP Dental.
- You must be enrolled in a TRICARE health plan.
- Dependent children are covered until age 21 (non-students) or 23 (full-time students).
- Unmarried surviving spouses and eligible children/dependents of retired uniformed service members can enroll.
2. Choose a Plan
BCBS FEP Dental has two plans, High Option and Standard Option.
You can choose between three levels of coverage:
- Self Only (coverage for yourself)
- Self + One (coverage for you and one eligible family member)
- Self & Family (coverage for you and multiple eligible family members)
Use the AskBlueSM BCBS FEP Dental Plan Finder to answer a few questions about your vision care needs and find out which plan is right for you.
BENEFEDS provides the secure, government-authorized and OPM-sponsored enrollment portal that eligible participants use to enroll in and manage their FEDVIP coverage. BENEFEDS also provides customer service and billing systems for the collection of FEDVIP premiums.
To enroll, visit BENEFEDS.com and create your online account, or call the BENEFEDS enrollment line at 1-877-888-3337 Once you verify your eligibility and provide information about your employment, you can select your BCBS FEP Dental plan, High Option or Standard Option.
4. Start Coverage
Your coverage begins on January 1. Download the brochure to get familiar with your new benefits.
When Can I Enroll?
You can enroll in a plan or change your coverage during Open Season, which typically runs from the second Monday of November through the second Monday of December each year. If you don't want to make any changes to your coverage, you don't need to do anything. Your coverage will automatically carry over to the next year.
Qualifying Life Events
You can also change your FEDVIP plan outside of Open Season if you have a qualifying life event (QLE).These include getting married, having a baby, losing existing health coverage or losing a family member. For a complete list of QLEs, visit opm.gov or BENEFEDS.com.
Newly hired federal employees may enroll 60 days from your entry on duty date.
Uniformed service members retiring or recently retired from service may enroll between 31 days before your military retirement date or 60 days after.